October 05, 2008

From Here to Riga and Back


What do most language teachers love to do? They like to travel.....I definitely fall into this catagory.....in addition I seem to be a "show and tell" type teacher...I like to discover new things and then to talk about them.....so it was a great pleasure to fly to Riga in Latvia and stay seven nights in Old Town Riga and to explore its eight hundred years of history.


On my many walks I discovered this giant poster of G.W.Bush and Putin and I thought of how they had used English as their means to communicate - so one might even say that teaching and learning English helps to maintain world peace....in other words I am not just teaching The Tenses to my 1 A class students - but am I not also helping to bring about and foster the concept of our interdependence on planet Earth.....will this then qualify me for a pay raise??