October 08, 2008

And then one day.....










More than three years ago I clipped this cartoon from my International Herald Tribune newspaper....to be exact - it was on March 16,2005.

There was a sense of "the US housing bubble might soon burst" in the air - but apparently nobody wanted to notice the coming dangers.....that very same year I visited friends in Oregon and they asked:"jay,where are you coming from?" and I smiled thinking that this was a rather odd question-for they all certainly knew where I was from.


Then they specified the question: "Jay, what we mean is: do you come from scarcity ( Mangel Ecke) or from abundance ( aus der Fuelle )?" Well,that was a good question I had not heard before and it made me think....and I realized that I do have a sorting system in my head that lets me often come from scarcity...like: not enough of this,not enough of that;this is also lacking and that is still missing as well...etc.


And now that the major global financial crisis is here I seem to again be coming from scarcity: I fear for the few savings I have - I am worried that I may lose what Americans call my financial nest egg ( mein kleines angespartes Fiananzpolster ) - because NOW the REPO MAN ( reposession man - der "Pfand"abholer ) has arrived - in the USA first ( see cartoon ) and will he soon be standing at our European door as well - wanting it all back? So I wonder and worry what that would do to my students, our school and my/our future plans??