February 10, 2009

School:An instrument for the heart?



I am involved in an interesting project: a Gesundheitsstammtisch.There are about 25 to 30 "members" and once a month about 20 of us come together in order to exchange ideas about how to stay healthy and fit.

This coming Thursday it is my turn to give a short presentation. I chose a topic that has been of great interest to me for many years: the individual journey into one's "inner" dimension...to explore the realm of The One Life - the inner stillness - the level of being where the sense of I AM can be experienced and how this relates to wanting to slow down the aging process.

Talking of just this "heart space" alone will not be enough...I will also need to speak about the other dimension as well:the one that is governed by the brain and by the ego.

And while I am preparing for this short presentation I have just become aware of an inner split.As a teacher I am mostly engaged in providing input into the brain and as a health conscious learner I am eagerly exploring the dimension of the heart.

I believe that the world of schooling with its lopsided emphasis on thinking,analysis and forms is co-responsible for the crisis our civilization is in - and that I would very much like to help my students gain access to their inner dimension as well...how would the reality of a regular class session change if the emphasis was also on the "human heart" and no longer just on the "human brain"? Good question.

When will my college ( or should I just say I ) begin to make room for teaching about such a shift in consciousness? In other words: how could my school and its students benefit from the insights that are discussed at our Stammtisch and elsewhere? A good start to get an idea would be to visit the home page of a pioneer in such awakening efforts: www.peterrussell.com

You can visit Peter's site directly from this blog.