November 15, 2008

Free and Easy in New York City


The photo was taken exactly forty-four years and one month ago - it shows me in front of the famous Lorelei Dance Bar and Restaurant in "German Town" on East 86th Street in Manhattan......Steuben Parade.....I am standing next to the Lorelei owner Mr. Schröder ( sunglasses ) with my beau-tie and suspenders.....everybody is watching the parade and drinking in public is still permitted.


At that time I had two jobs: a day - time one at Ungar Publishing Company - we published dead serious books and Erich Fromm was our best known author. My second and more interesting job was at night at the Lorelei.I never got home before midnight and it was my duty to seat the customers and to sell them the so-called minimum cover charge tickets....3.00 USD dollars during the week and 3.75 USD dollars on weekends.These tickets could be redeemed for food or drinks - that way every guest was "forced" to spend at least that minimum.


I received tips, free meals and one glass of free German beer.I loved both jobs - the day one stretched my brain - the evening one was good for my body.New York was an electrifying place for me - the City had only one big drawback: it was impossible for me to meet "the girls" I mean real American girls - although the Lorelei was well known as a meeting and pick-up place - I never scored!! In the end I considered myself quite lucky - for it was as the song goes: no woman - no cries.....I was meant to be free and easy in Manhattan.