December 01, 2008

Paris - je t'aime




..................................................... Have you ever been on a train that travels at 318 km per hour during most of its journey? Well - that is the constant speed of the Thalys TGV once it leaves Brussels.From there it takes less than ninety minutes to reach Paris Gare du Nord...very impressive technology - although the German ICE may look more stylish and it may have more room inside its first class coaches than the Thalys - it can't measure up to the power of the Thalys! Plus in their first class they serve free drinks and a delicious cold meal - all included in the price..and you are even handed a printed menu card as a souvenir!! An adventure and a great start for my fifth trip with my daughter to the city of love and lights.

Our main intention was to visit the European Education Fair - see photo.I had hoped to get my daughter excited about some of the institutions that she may want to consider once she graduates from Highschool.... it worked out ok but the many booths presented quite a challenge for both of us.

We had much more fun in front of and on top of that famous Eiffel Tower.I had a chance to speak some French while exploring the sights - and it was my daughter's job to navigate us through the City using the metro - the cost for ten rides is only € 11,40. We plan to return in May/June 2009 when it is warmer and more inviting.

When I arrived in Paris for the first time in 1963 with my girl-friend from Kiel I had a one year contract with La Librairie Hachette on Boulevard Saint Germain as a stagiaire...and we lived not too far from where our hotel was this last week-end...so I pretty much felt at home in "my" 15eme arrondissement! My daughter had fun to revisit with the American owner of the Mon Bon Chien pet shop near by....see its home page at: www.mon-bon- chien-paris.com